Monday, July 13, 2009

Week Two Begins

 Entrance to Holywell St., leading back to St. Catz from the City Centre.
The students are back in class this morning after a weekend of adventures on their own. Everyone had stories to tell at breakfast. I'll add some details about my weekend in a minute. According to the syllabus, this morning's class Globalization and Society, and International Trade and Factor Mobility Theory.

Immediately following lunch, we will head to Stratford-Upon-Avon for a Royal Shakespeare Company production of The Winter's Tale. Stratford is, of course, the birthplace, home, and burial place of William Shakespeare. We will have several hours to explore the town before the play begins this evening. There are plenty of Shakespeare properties to see, and a number of historic or scenic walks.

My weekend was good. I spent some time with two IU staff members visiting on holiday. We took a walking tour and tried our hands at punting on the Cherwell. Saturday I drove to nearby Wytham, but it began raining when I got there and rained most of the evening. Sunday was packed: I drove to Stonehenge, visited friends near Bristol, and stopped in Bath. I went to Bath on a whim, but it turned out to be an excellent decision. The city is beautiful, and I got to tour the Roman Baths, which stay open late in the summer. I highly recommend visiting Bath. Here's some of what I saw yesterday:


<The Abbey Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, Bath
Parade Gardens in Bath
The Great Bath at the Roman Baths

No comments:

Post a Comment